Texas National Guard 1940
Cleburne, Texas

Roster and history of Medical Department Detachment, 132nd Field Artillery
Cleburne, Texas as of January 1, 1940

Commissioned Officers

Major Honea, Thomas C., M.C.
Captain Wansley, Reuben A., D.C.
Captain Pickens, Jay W., M.C.
Captain Stephens, John A., M.C.

Non-Commissioned Officers

Staff Sergeant Peacock, Melvin R.


Johnson, Lloyd W.
Poteet, Horace E.


Baker, Edwin A.

Privates First Class

Arnold, Douglas V.
Bradshaw, G. W., Jr
Byars, Samuel I.
Cooper, William W.
Jiles, Dewey V., Jr.
Patton, Jamia P.


Darby, Telford H.
Davis, Clyde W.
Garrett, John M.
Gill, Raymond H.
Grant, Jack R.
Grigsby, John A.
Holliday, Hubert C.
James, Jim D.
Jiles, Olson
Johnson, Boya W.
Joplin, Johnnie R.
Lefevre, Willard C.
Lindsey, George B.
McClure, J. D.
McClure, Marvin W.
Paine, Knox
Paschal, Woodrow W.
Perry, Travis J.
Polson, Herman P.
Post, Milton M.
Reeves, Herbert E.
Ruggles, Clark R.
Schmidt, Marvin C.
Sloan, Schubert L.
Smith, John C., Jr
Stephens, Joseph E.
Wiginton, William T.

Factual History

Federal recognition was granted the Medical Department Detachment, 132nd Field Artillery, on October 11, 1922, after the detachment was organized in Cleburne, with the following officers: Major William C. Lucy, M.C., and Captains Lee Yates, M.C.; Thomas C. Honea, M.C.; Reuben A. Wansley, D.C.; and Arthur C. Burns, V.C.

Captain Yates resigned in 1923, Captain O’Clyde Nevill, M.C. of Bonham, was appointed in 1924, and resigned his post in 1930. Later officers of the Medical Detachment have been Captain Tubb, M.C., 1930-31; Arthur Moore, V.C., of Paris (Texas), 1924; Thomas C. Honea (now Major), 1929; J. W. Pickens, M.C., 1930; John A. Stephens, M.C., of Paris, 1932.

In 1933, when the brigade was motorized, Captains Burns and Moore resigned. Present officers of the Medical Detachment are Major Thomas C. Honea, M.C., and Captains Jay W. Pickens M.C.; John A. Stephens, M.C., and Reuben A. Wansley, D.C.

The original detachment consisted of 32 enlisted men, which was reduced to 30 in 1924, 24 in 1927, 22 in 1933, and 20 in 1934. During 1939, however, the number was increased to 37. The outfit has made 17 encampments: one at Camp Bullis, two at Camp Stanley, and 14 at Camp Hulen.

Submitted by Cliff Fargason