Wilkinson Family Cemetery
Location: From Grandview take US 81 north and 4 miles, then take county road east .75 mile
Henry and Sarah Ann (Weldon) Wilkinson and their seven children left their former home in Mississippi in November 1866 to travel to Texas. Their journey in two ox-drawn wagons lasted 62 days, and they settled near this site in January 1867. The family rented land upon their arrival, and in 1869 purchased 762 acres on which they established a farm. They built a small log home and became respected leaders in their small rural community, initially named Hugh in honor of a Wilkinson grandson. The community's name later was changed to Antioch. Henry Wilkinson died on May 26, 1879, as a result of a farming accident. He was buried near his home in a grove of trees which became known as the Wilkinson Family Cemetery. His wife Sarah Ann (d. 1901) and sons John Q. A. (d. 1879) and Virgil A. (d. 1881) also were buried in the family graveyard, as were a number of other relatives and descendants. The land surrounding the cemetery remained in the Wilkinson family until 1938. The half-acre site is maintained by Wilkinson descendants, many of whom still reside in this area of Johnson County.
Source: Texas Historical Commission