Church of the Holy Comforter

Location: 209 East Wardenville, Cleburne

As early as 1860, the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, visited Johnson County. This parish, first in the county, was formed 1871; the Rev. Robert S. Nash was first rector. First church building in Cleburne (northeast corner, Henderson and Robinson) was completed by congregation of the Holy Comforter in 1874. Present church, built 1893 during ministry of the Rev. W. W. Patrick, has been in continuous use, and is preserved in original state. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970

Source: Texas Historical Commission